Friday, January 6, 2012

What Release Looks Like


While it’s been quiet here on the blog for a couple days, things have not quieted down for me.

In the absence of postings, I’ve been doing this:


This is what release looks like—an empty shelf. For now.

Empty shelves never happen in our house. Most of our bookcases are so full we have books stacked on the floor nearby.

This top shelf will have books and such on it again. Just not quite yet.

What was here before?

A set of books that linked me to some hurtful memories. It’s time to let go of the past. It’s time to stop letting this 18-year-old situation stop ruling me and causing me to turn my back on future projects.

I’ve been sensing the need to let go of these books for a while. I gave it serious thought a couple days ago. I held on to them all these years because the author autographed them to me personally. All was confirmed today, when God gave me these words during prayer with my spiritual director:

…let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us…

As I was taking the books down this evening, I saw this line the author wrote inside one of the covers:

Keep falling in love with Jesus, okay? You are a beautiful young princess.


I’m not going to fill this shelf immediately. Jesus and I determined that I need to place intentional items in this space. Life-giving things to replace the previous burdens and baggage He’s taking away.

I put them at the feet of His cross, the place He died that I might live. A life of restoration that starts with release.




No comments: