Saturday, December 10, 2011

A Lasagna Saga










The journey of the lasagna began over a week ago. Because I’ve been using the same recipe for four years, my husband suggested we try a new kind of lasagna. You know, something different.

That’s when I turned to The Pioneer Woman. Friends rave about her. But, given my culinary issues, I stayed away until now. I mean, her website screams “I am homemaker extraordinaire!” It scares me. ((shutter))

Last weekend, I gathered my ingredients and looked at the cook time in the heading: 30 minutes for prep and 30 minutes to cook. Easy, right? That’s what it said at least.

On Monday night, I cooked the meat. We had a group of leaders arriving at 6:30pm. It was 5. My husband nervously watched the clock and suggested perhaps I just finish the meat and grab something else before our guests arrived. So, meat cooked on Monday.

Tuesday, Christmas party at church. Wednesday, let’s roll up the sleeves and keep on going. But, then, a horror. There, buried deep in the instructions, were the words “the sauce mixture should simmer for 45 minutes.” In short, we ordered pizza while I finished cooking, stirring, and layering. I completed the layering at 7:30pm and placed it in the refrigerator.

Thursday, a meeting at church. Friday, we finally cooked that layered-bad-boy. After his first helping, my husband said, “I like your lasagna better.”

You’d think I’d be upset after all that work. Instead, I threw my arms around him and kissed him. That compliment was almost worth all the trouble. Almost.

And what am I making today? Another Pioneer Woman dinner because I bought the ingredients last weekend, and they expire today. Who knew it would take five days to get around to eating the lasagna? I plan on starting my soup at noon.

2 comments:

Rebekah Largent said...

Mmmmm.....I love lasagna. Unfortunately, though, Byron doesn't like it, so I don't get it very often.:(

Becca said...

I still have half a pan left. I wish I could just bring some over to you. :(